Day 1 → Arrive in Xining airport and transfer to hotel
- Morning or early afternoon - Transfer to Hotel (about a 1 hour drive from airport)
- 3:00pm - Arrive at Hotel and check in. Settle into hotel and rest
- 4:30 pm - Meet in the lobby of the hotel/guesthouse and go out for dinner
- 5:00pm - Eat dinner and introduce the schedule for the week
- 8:00pm - Return to Hotel to sleep and rest
Day 2 → Depart Xining in the morning, camp near Laji Shan
- 8:30am - Eat breakfast at or near hostel or hotel.
- 9:30am - Drive 1.5 hours to LaJI Shan Mountain - a 14,000 foot (4,267 meters) craggy peak with surrounding red rock bluffs and cliffs.
- 11:30am- Hike to base camp and eat packed lunch
- 12:30pm-Set up tents and camp
- 2:00pm - From the base camp, day hike to tall mountain past red rock formations for a great view of the valley. We will not be summiting the mountain itself but a nearby peak.
- 5:00pm- Cook dinner
- 6:00pm - Eat dinner
- 7:00pm - Clean dinner
- 7:30pm - Watch the stars and talk about history and stories of the area as well as the nomadic culture around us and it’s dependence on the yak.
- 9:30pm - Sleep in tents overlooking beautiful red rock formations.
Day 3 → Kanbula National Park and Tibetan Homestay
- 8:00am - Start breakfast
- 8:30am - Eat breakfast
- 9:00am - Break camp and pack up and hike down
- 10:30am - Drive 1.5 hours to Kanbula National Park and the gorgeous red rock formations in the park (it is like a mini-Grand Canyon)
- 1:00pm - Go see Namzong Nunnery inside the park
- 3:00pm - Do short day hikes to viewpoints and pagodas and see a small Tibetan farmer village
- 4:30pm - In the afternoon, drive to Homestay
- 6:30pm - Arrive in Homestay in Rebkong, eat with our homestay hosts
- 8:00pm - Debrief day
- 9:00pm - Sleep in Tibetan Homestay with an excellent view of the National Park
Day 4 → Rebkong Monastery and hike
- 8:30am - Eat breakfast in homestay
- 9:30am - In the morning, explore the labyrinthine alleys of the monastery to find out what life as a monk is really like. Then hike above the Rebkong Longwu Monastery for an excellent view of the town.
- 12:30pm - Eat lunch in town including some freshly made yak yoghurt
- 1:30pm - Drive 3 hours back to Xining Sofitel
- 4:30 pm - Arrive in Xining for dinner. Clean up at hotel
- 6:00pm - Final closing dinner. Final debriefs